Indian Premier League (IPL) is one of the most popular T20 tournaments in the world which is organized by the world’s richest cricketing board BCCI. Currently, the 16th edition which is IPL 2023 is going on and with this, it is also expected that many indian players who are performing consistently very well and most probably they will also get a call-up for the Indian T20 internationals set-up.
IPL plays a major role in the preparation of domestic indian players for the international side. Earlier many a talent used to get sidelined as per the main squad requirements. In IPL there are 10 franchises, so out of these most of them play a minimum of 2 uncapped players who have great potential and exciting game sense. The best examples are Hardik Pandya, Washington Sundar, Jasprit Bumrah, Ravi Bishnoi, Arshdeep Singh, and many more.
After IPL 2023, the Indian Cricket Team’s major focus will be on the T20 World Cup 2024. For that, management needs to provide enough opportunities to certain talents who can do the job and end the wait of the T20 World Cup trophy drought of 16 years. Indian cricket team has always been a favorite to win the tournament since after the 2007 victory but could not win the trophy for the 2nd time.
Now, Indian Team is looking to adopt a new approach by experimenting with the leadership of Hardik Pandya in the T20I cricket. Hardik has been very successful while leading the side and also proved himself as a leader by winning the overseas T20I bilateral series.
Let’s have a look which are those 5 players who can debut or get the Indian T20I call-up again after IPL 2023:
1) Ruturaj Gaikwad: He has been very consistent with the bat and playing longer innings with a very good strike rate. If he continues this form for the rest of the IPL 2023 tournament there’s no one who can drop him from the T20 Internationals squad. Ruturaj did not make use of the opportunities on the international side but a different version of him has been seen due to his recent consistent run in the domestic and in the IPL 2023 so far.
2) Yashasvi Jaiswal: An explosive left-hander, whose strike rate has been nearly around 200 so far in the powerplay overs of the tournament. With this positive intent during the initial 6 overs, he sets a great platform for other batters to set a big target for the opposition. So far, the IPL 2023 has been very fruitful for the youngster and he just needs to proceed with the same tempo in the upcoming games.
3) Sanju Samson: Sanju has been one of the most underutilized talents by indian team management. He has not been given a consistent run of 8-10 games in the T20Is. He is used when a preferred player is unavailable due to some reason. He could be a great asset for the Indian cricket team if he is used tactically by the management. Sanju Samson is a match-winner for his IPL franchise and he is also a great option for a leadership role.
In IPL 2023, he played a superb match-winning knock against the Gujarat Titans in Ahmedabad. If he plays another 3-4 more match-winning knocks for his side, he will definitely open the doors for his selection again.
4) Tilak Varma: In IPL 2022, 19 years old Tilak Varma announced his arrival by registering almost 400 runs with a strike rate of over 140 where his side struggled a lot. But in the IPL 2023, he and Mumbai Indians have been doing really great. He is the leading runs scorer of his so far in the ongoing tournament. Also, the current Indian cricket team captain Rohit Sharma has given hints that he could be seen in an Indian jersey soon.
5) Rinku Singh: Rinku Singh is one of the best finishers among Indian players in the ongoing IPL 2023. He has a great six-hitting ability and also plays the game with a healthy strike rate in the middle overs. He came to notice when he chased down 28 runs in the 5 balls of the last over against Gujarat Titans.
Team India has been in search of a finisher since MS Dhoni left the T20I setup. If enough opportunities are provided to Rinku Singh, he could be a star middle-order batsman in India.
The inclusion of the above-mentioned 5 players will be dependent on their complete IPL 2023 form. If they all continue their current form for the rest of the tournament, we will definitely see them in the Indian jersey. And, all these players are match-winners and if they find a place on the international side, then India could be one of the most dangerous sides in the T20I circuit.